Be careful who's advice you buy. Be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of fishing out the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it is worth.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

New perspective

Last night was one of those long, draining nights that come when you are married. I was so angry at Dylan for staying out until 2:30 am. He said he was only going to be a few hours. I went ballistic. I had so many thoughts going through my head.
Luckily one of my best friends... no, my BEST friend was on line last night. He and I talked and compared notes on married life. He is probably the only man who can get away with calling me over-reactive. Then again, he has known me longer than any other human being (not counting parents) in the world. He was there for me when the first man I fell in love with cheated on me. He also dealt really well when I thought that I had fallen in love with him. AND he took me to our senior prom. oh the sight of him in a white tux was great. He was there through my darkest times and I have helped him through some tight spots as well. I still panic when ever he has to go in and have the hole in his heart checked.
Anyways... he and I talked and he brought a really good point to view. The reason I over react so easily is because I do not have any one here that I can rely on except my husband. So when ever he does something silly, say not calling when he is going to be late, I take is too personally because I am left alone.
In Pennsylvania I have a support system. This is part of the reason I want to move back. But here is my dilemma: There are two views to me moving home and I do not know which is "right".
View 1.) The entire point of getting married and growing up is to move away from the main family and start a new family. By staying close to the main branch of the family the newly formed family will never actually be their own "separate" entity. 
View 2.) Multiple branches of a family can co-exist in one area. They work together (and alone) to raise the children and help each other out. The amount of involvement of the family to any one home is up to the people who live in that home. It is more a  " it takes a village to raise a child" mentality.
I know which I believe...and that is why I am going home.

2 comments:

  1. View number one I do not agree with totally. You can make your own lives and live your own dreams and still live a short distance from your family. You have to let your family know that you are an adult and making your own decisions. They have to respect you and stay out of your business unless you both want them there.

    View 2? Children who grow up among people who love. Whether it is grandparents, or 'aunts and 'uncles' who are willing to help the parents with this child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not finish my post. I meant to say...Children who grow up among people who love. Whether it is grandparents, or 'aunts and 'uncles' who are willing to help the parents with this child. Are happier.

    ReplyDelete